Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Our journey continues...

Thursday March 24, 2011
Today Wayne sent me a text telling me I might want to pick up Rosetta Stone (you know, the foreign language CDs?) while I was out running errands. I knew something was up so I rushed on home and found him waiting for me grinning from ear to ear. He had some news. He got a phone call from the Commander of the 435th AGOW at Ramstein  Air Base, Germany! He wanted Wayne to be his Command Chief. Wow! What an honor for my husband! Wow! What an awesome place to go live! Wow! What a great place for opportunities to travel all around Europe! Wow! What a great place for the boys! Wow! Wait…the boys. Seth…then it hit me. Oh wow.
What would we do about Seth? He still has 2 more years of college and he doesn’t want to leave UTSA. How could I travel to another country and live for 2-3 years without our firstborn?  Certainly he would be lost without us? Certainly I would be lost without him? I sank down on the floor and just cried.  It was then that I had to remember that he would be turning 21 this year. He has a life here in Texas. He is making his way. I couldn’t stomp my feet and make him come with us. I wanted to though. I thought about it. Alot. Oh yes I did.
We called our parents with our news and they seemed very happy for us. I know they can’t stand the thought of us being further away but I know they are so excited for the adventure we will have. Cody and Sam are excited too. Sam wants to see snow and castles and Cody is ready for a change. Plus, the girl he likes is also moving to Ramstein. Uh yeah, that is probably the only reason for him at the moment. Seth thought it was crazy news! He can’t wait to come over on breaks from school. I tried to bribe him to just move with us and go to school over there. He wasn’t buying it. Darn, he would have been so helpful since he speaks German. I would have had a translator!
Later that day, I had to go finish my errands and pulled into the commissary parking lot. I turned off the engine and sat there. All of a sudden I couldn’t move. I couldn’t make myself get out of the vehicle. I just sat there in a daze. I am moving to Germany. 28 minutes later, who do I call? My mom. I just burst into tears. She just listened, and listened, and listened.  She set me straight and made me think of all the positives. I got out of that vehicle with a new outlook and went about my grocery shopping . I did however avoid the German food aisle. Just to deter another meltdown.
While I am talking about my meltdowns, which occurred pretty steady over the next few days, I just want to say thank you to all my friends and family that listened to me laugh and cry all in one breath. Thank God, I have so many optimists in my life.
A little background to this note: Wayne was picked up for the Command Chief list a few months ago and had done several interviews. We had no idea if he would be picked up or if we would be in Texas for another year.  We had been praying that God would place us where he needed us to be. Sure we had our opinions, but ultimately put our future in His hands.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment