Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany! We landed at Ramstein AB Monday afternoon to a welcoming party, my husband's executive aide and a few others. They helped us load all 8 suitcases, dog kennel, and backpacks up and drove us over to what will be our new home for the next 2-3 years. We were lucky enough to have a house ready and not have to stay in temporary housing until one became available. Our house has temporary furniture (think tacky hotel furniture) until our personal belongings arrive via ship. Should be sometime by the end of August. I love this house. Everything is so modern . I will have to take pics of some of the neat things inside the house.  We sold our other vehicle back in NC so we will be looking for a "beater car" while here. The Jeep is being shipped as well. Wayne passed the German Driver's license test yesterday so he can drive us around in a borrowed beater that the last Command Chief left. My test is Monday. They say 60% fail it the first try. Oh my!

Basically we have only been around the base here because we had limited transportation. Hopefully this weekend we can get out and explore off base. Ramstien AB is huge! Lots of traffic circles and a huge BX ( shopping center) I have been there 3 times already getting necessities for the house.

We are still pretty jet lagged from the trip. My body has no idea what time of day it is. Cody slept for 17 hours yesterday. Even our dog is confused.

Thank goodness for these rolling shutters on the windows. They are pretty awesome. It stays light here until around 10:00PM and the sun comes up around 5:30ish AM. My first morning waking up I thought someone had left the light on it was so bright!

I will try and post pics as soon as I learn how. Ha!We do have internet and cable up and ready. We bought a phone last night for our landline but I don't know how to set it up. It is in German and I can't figure out the English directions. Go figure. I am used to doing everything via iPhone, so sitting here at the computer is driving me crazy. It is really limiting my Facebook time though. That is a good thing!

Enough for now, hopefully this post makes sense. I am on my second pot of coffee and still feel like crap.  I have to go and get all gussied up for our first official Command Chief function tonight. It's a formal and I have been busy all day steaming my gown and Wayne's Mess Dress. I have to say that the first impression of the new Command Chief's wife will not be pretty...puffy eyes, puffy waistline and all! Sorry hun! Here we go!

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment